Teenager, 17, stabbed to death in ‘targeted attack’ as police launch murder hunt

Police have launched a murder investigation after a teenage boy was attacked in broad daylight earlier today and later died of his injuries.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called to Southlea Road in Withington at around 11.30am following reports of a “serious assault”.

Witnesses claimed the 17-year-old had been stabbed which was later confirmed by police.

The teenage victim was rushed to hospital where he later died.

Residents of the road were seen in tears earlier today as police launched an investigation and put up a cordon at the scene, reported Manchester Evening News.

A spokesman for GMP said no arrests have been made and the victim’s next of kin have been informed.

The statement said: “Just after 11:30am today (Tuesday 22 November 2022), Greater Manchester Police were alerted to a stabbing on Southlea Road, Withington.

“The young man was taken to hospital but sadly passed away a short time later as a result of his injuries.

“Officers attended the scene, and a teenage boy has been taken to hospital with serious injuries.

“Enquiries are ongoing and we are keen to speak to anyone who knows anything about this incident.

“His next of kin have been informed and specially trained officers are supporting them at this difficult time.

“We do not believe that this was a random attack and early enquiries suggest that there is no threat to the wider public.”

A person who lives nearby, who asked not to be named, said: “It is shocking as it is right near a school and around the time the nursery children are walking home.

Another added: “It’s not nice, this is usually a quiet area.”

A spokesman for the North West Ambulance Service added: “We responded to a police incident on Southlea Road following a call at 11.38am and sent an ambulance, response vehicle, air ambulance and a Hazardous Area Response Team member.

“A patient was taken to the hospital by road.”

Detective Superintendent Neil Jones of GMP South Manchester Division added: “Our thoughts are with the victim’s loved ones at this devastating time, and I understand this will cause distress and concern to the community and across Manchester.

“We are in the early stages of our investigation, but I can assure you that our officers are carrying out extensive enquiries to establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident.

““You may notice that there will be an increase in officers out on the streets in the Withington and Burnage area over the coming days to gather intelligence and offer reassurance to the public.

“If anyone has any information about this incident or has any concerns, I encourage you to speak to these officers.

“They are there to help and support you. This can also be done anonymously via Crimestoppers. I also ask anyone who has dash cam or CCTV footage from this area to contact us on 0161 856 1995.”